- A Crocodile always grows new teeth to replace old teeth
- A lump of pure gold of a match box size can be flattened into a sheet of the size of a tennis court
- Camels have three eye lids to protects their eyes from blowing sand
- Human teeth are as hard as rocks
- Human thigh bones are as hard as concrete
- Nearly 10000 birds die every year by smashing into windows
- The average ice berg weighs 20,000,000 tons!
- The average person has over 1,460 dreams a year!
- The Earth weighs around 6,588,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 tons!
- The opposite sides of a dice cube always add up to seven!
- The state of Florida is bigger than England!
- A duck’s quack doesn’t echo. No one knows why.
- Earth is the only planet not named after a God
Wednesday, October 26, 2011
Do you know who lives longer? is it Indians, Americans, or Japanese people? Here is a list of the top 10 countries based on life expectancy of their people.
- Japan : Japan tops the list with life expectancy as given below. Males --> 79 years Females --> 86.1 years. Over all life expectancy --> 82.6 years
- Hong Kong : Males --> 79.4 years Females --> 85.1 years. Over all --> 82.2 years
- Ice Land : Males --> 80.2 years and Females --> 83.3 years. Overall --> 81.8 years
- Switzerland : Males --> 79 years. Females --> 84.2 years. Overall --> 81.7 years
- Australia : Males --> 78.9 years. Females --> 83.6 years. Overall --> 81.2 years
- Spain: Males --> 77.7 years. Females --> 84.2 years. Overall --> 80.9 years
- Sweden : Males --> 78.7 years. Females --> 83.0 years. Overall --. 80.9 years
- Israel : Males --> 78.5 years Females --> 82.8 years. Overall --> 80.7 years
- Macau : Males --> 78.5 years Females --> 82.8 years. Overall --> 80.7 years
- France: Males --> 77.1 years Females --> 84.1 years. Overall --> 80.7 years
Tuesday, October 25, 2011
There are many festivals in India and each one has its own significance but Diwali festival is a special one out of all the festivals. This festival is also called as the Festival of lights and also called as Deepavali in some parts of India. The word Deepavali means row of lamps in Sanskrit.
Many different mythological events are affiliated with the Diwali fesival. In North India this festival is celebrated on return of Lord Rama after 14 years of exile after killing Ravana. In South India Diwali is celebrated on account of Lord Krishna killing the demon Narakasura.
The Deepavali festival is normally celebrated for 5 days. The first day is known as Dhanteras followed by Naraka Chaturdashi, Lakshmi Puja ( the Diwali day), Govardhana Puja and finally the Bhai Dooj.
In a similar way to other festivals, Diwali festival is also an occasion to purchase new clothes, sweets, flowers and precious jewelry etc. In addition to all these, fire crackers are also purchased on Diwali in huge quantity. The diyas ( lamps) are decorated and lighted in the evening times from today for one month. Entire family and friends burst fire crackers together on Diwali. There is no religious differences for this festival and every one is welcome to join the celebration as Diwali is not just a festival but a belief to remove the evil from this world.
I wish every one a Happy and prosperous Diwali festival.
Here are some of the interesting facts about animals.
- The dogs does not have sense of time.
- All the dogs are identical in anatomy. They have 321 bones and 42 teeth.
- A Hippo can open its mouth wide enough to fit a 4-feet tall child inside.
- The butterfly taste with its feet.
- The eye of an ostrich is larger than its brain.
- The speed of a cat can be around 20 kilometers per hour.
- The Star Fish does not have brain.
- Elephants are the only animals which cannot jump.
- The Shark always should swim, otherwise it will sink.
- The poison from a stone fish can kill human in just 2 hours
Here are some of the funny and interesting facts for every one to know.
- The cat fish has more than 25000 taste buds.
- The tentacles of a giant Arctic Jelly Fish can reach a length of around 35 meters in length.
- It takes 12 hours for food to entirely digest.
- A car traveling at a speed of 100 miles per hours would take more than 30 million years to reach the nearest star.
- The most poisonous fish in the world is the stone fish, which lives off the coast of Australia.
- In most of the advertisements related to watches, the time displayed on the watch is 10:10 hrs.
- The life span of a dragonfly is only 24 hours.
- The tigers have striped skin and not striped fur.
- Canada is an Indian word which means "Big village".
Monday, October 24, 2011
Here are some of the interesting and amazing facts about the stars.
- There are more stars in this universe than all of the grains of sand on earth.
- The stars can be seen from the bottom of a well even in day light.
- The Sun is a star, and is made of 70% Hydrogen, 28% helium and 2% metals. The diameter of Sun is 1,390,000 Kilo meters.
- The distance between Earth and Sun is about 1,50,000,000 Kilo meters but it is not constant.
- The Stars with strong gravity try to become smaller and smaller and finally turn into black holes.
- The stars come in different colors. The hot stars give blue light and the cool stars give red light.
- All the stars in the Milky Way galaxy revolve around the center of this galaxy once every 200 million years.
- There are nearly 250 billion stars in our galaxy and it is believed that there are 100 billion galaxies in this universe.
- A Comet's tail always points away from the sun.
- A galaxy of a typical size, with about 100 billion suns produces less energy than a single Quasar.
- A Pulsar is a small star made up of neutrons so densely packed together that if one pulsar of a size of a silver dollar landed on earth, would weight approximately 100 million tons.
- The Star 'Alpha Herculis' is 25 times larger than the circumference described by earth's revolution around the sun.
Thursday, October 20, 2011
Here are some of the most interesting, but true facts, that you may or may not believe.
- The Statue of Liberty's index finger is eight feet long
- Rain was never recorded in some parts of the Atacama Desert in Chile
- A 75 years old person will have slept above 23 years
- The wing span of a Boeing 747 is longer than the Wright brother's first flight.
- The number of chickens on earth is almost equal to the number of humans on this earth
- One type of humming bird weighs less than a penny
- The word "set " has the most number of definitions in the English language;192
- Slugs have four noses
- Sharks can live up to 100 years
- Mosquitoes are more attracted to the color blue than any other color.
- Kangaroos can't walk backwards
- About 75 acres of pizza are eaten in in the U.S. Everyday
- The largest recorded snowflake was 15in wide and 8in thick. It fell in Montana in 1887
- The tip of a bullwhip moves so fast that the sound it makes is actually a tiny sonic boom.
- Former president Bill Clinton only sent 2 emails in his entire 8 year presidency
- Koalas and humans are the only animals that have finger prints
- There are 200,000,000 insects for every one human
- It takes more calories to eat a piece of celery than the celery had in it to begin with.
Sunday, October 16, 2011
Here are some of the interesting and strange facts about Spiders.
- There are more than 70,000 types of spiders in this world.
- The largest spider was the Magarachne which had a diameter of 50 cm. The fossil of this spider was found in Argentina.
- The skleton of a spider is located on outside of its body.
- Spiders have 8 legs and 8 eyes.
- Spiders are found in every continent except Antarctica.
- An abnormal fear of spiders is called ‘arachnophobia’.
- Giant Huntsman spiders have leg-spans of around 30cm (12 in).
Please find some of the interesting facts about lizards in this article which are very useful for kids.
- There are about 5,000 species of lizards in this world.
- Lizards smell with their tongues like snakes.
- The largest lizard till now is the Komodo Dragon which can reach upto 10 feet in length. Komodo dragons are very patient hunters. They bite their prey and wait for days for the prey to die.
- The tails of some lizards gets separated from their body when the lizard is caught. The tail that is left behind wriggles, confusing the other animal. This defense gives the lizard some time to escape. Another tail will grow again which will be shorter and different in color.
- Some lizards do not have legs. They look like snakes.
- Some lizards can squirt blood 2 to 4 feet out of their eyes in order to protect themselves.
- some lizards live upto 30 years. The record till now is 33 years 11 months.
- The chameleon can move its eyes independently so that it can look in two different directions at the same time,
- The chameleon eats insects.
- Some chameleons have the ability to change the colors according to the surrounding atmosphere.
- Lizards shed their skins when they outgrow it. Lizards never stop growing.
Here are some of the interesting and amazing facts about lions useful for children. You can learn about behavior of lion, their speed and where they are found etc.
- Lions are the second largest cat species in the world.
- The weight of a male lion on average is about 180 Kg.
- The average weight of a female lion is around 130 Kg.
- A lion can reach speeds upto 81 kilometers per hour.
- The roar of a lion can be heard at a distance of 8 kilometers.
- Most of the lions live in southern and eastern Africa.
- It is easy to recognize male lion with the mane.
- Lion live for around 12 years.
- Female lions hunt better than male lions.
- Lions take rest for around 20 hours a day.
Saturday, October 15, 2011
There are some strange persons on earth. These are real people with rare appearance. Here is a list of the strange persons which I searched and collected over internet and reproducing here.
- Octoman: This is about a person named Rudy Santos who lives in Bacolad city, in Philippines. He is treated as Octoman. He has three legs and four arms. One of his legs is missing below the knee. His twin also has a head consisting of an ear and a small patch of hairy scalp attached at his sternum.Rudy Santos is 55 years old man with this rare medical phenomenon known as a parasitic twin. Medical experts are examining Rudy Santos to find out how his twin is formed within him and what are the organs of his twin existing - whether there is a spine, and other organs etc.? They are also trying to see if surgery is possible for Rudy at this late age. Let us hope the surgery would be possible and he would be a normal man soon.
- Lizardman : This is about Mr. Erik Spraque who was born on 12th June, 1972 in Texas. He is known as Lizardman because of his appearance. He has sharpened teeth, full body tattoo of green scales, bifurcated tongue and also green inked lips. He has transformed himself with body modifications. There are rumors that he is now trying to have a tail transplant. The Lizardman makes his living as a freak by performing before audience all over the world. He has performed many slide show acts like fire eating, breathing, sword swallowing etc. The Lizardman is a Ph.D candidate at the University of Albany before begining his body transformations. He holds a bachelor degree in Philosophy. He lives in Austin, Texas along with his wife Meghan and their pets. The Lizardman also has a blog. You can visit the Lizardman's blog.
- Wold Kids: Suprata Nat Sasuphan is a 11 year old girl from Thailand.. She behaves like all other girls and enjoys eating ice cream, swimming, and going to school. But she is one in a billion in other ways. She is born with thick 5 cm. long animal like fur covering her head and parts of her body. Nat was born with congenital hypertrichosis which is also known as "werewolf syndrome". Suprata Nat has thick hair growing over her face, ears, arms, legs and back. All the laser treatments failed to stop her hair growth. Her family is desperately trying for a treatment to her to give her a normal life. But it seems there is no easy options. Another 11 year old Prithviraj Patil in India also suffering from uncontrollable hair growth is undergrowing painful laser treatment but his hair keeps growing back again on his face and body. Prithviraj is from the Sangli district near Mumbai is a healthy, sporty and popular student at school. Even though lot of hair grows on his head and body there is no itch or rash and no bad smell on his body. The reasons for this condition is not know till now. Now both the children are having their hopes on Professor Angela Christiano, and her research in genetic science for help in finding a cure for their children.
- Tree man:This story is about 32 year old Dede Kosawa who is also known as Tree man. He is one of the extraordinary people in this world. He lives in a remote village in Indonesia with two children. Dede is a fisherman has special skin condition. He has root like structures growing from his body. The branches that grow upto 5 cm. per year and which protrude from his hands and feet. He is locally known as treeman and his condition surprised local doctors for 20 years. Dr. Gaspari who works at the department in university of Maryland School of Medicine, USA often visits Dede and identifies his condition and suggests some treatment.
Here is some interesting and fun facts about snakes useful for children. You can learn about snake skin, snake charming, snake anatomy etc. Children should read this article and enjoy the variety of information about snakes.
- Snakes are carnivores. that means they eat meat.
- Do you know that snakes can not bite the food, they just swallow the food
- The jaws of snakes are flexible enough to eat their enemy which is bigger than snake's head.
- The snakes do not have eyelids
- You can see snakes everywhere except Antarctica.
- Snakes do not have external ears but have internal ears
- The snakes used in snake charming performances respond to the movement and not the sound.
- It is assumed that there are more than 3000 different species of snakes
- The skin of snake is smooth and dry. The snakes shed their skin several times in a year in a process that lasts for few days.
- Some species of snakes use venom (Poison) to kill their prey.
- Some sea snakes breath through their skin.
- Anacondas are large non-venomous snakes found South America which can grow to a length of 16 feet.
- The Python Reticulates can grow upto a length of 28 feet.
Here is an interesting information about dogs. We all know that dogs are man's best friends. Dogs are wonderful pet animals which help us in all ways. Here are some of the interesting and variety information about Dogs.
- The dogs perform very important and useful tasks for us like hunting, farm work and security and also assisting the blind people.
- There are around 400 million dogs in the world.
- The dogs were chosen as pets more than 15000 years ago.
- Hundreds of breeds of dogs are existing like Bull Dog, German Shepherd, Collie, St. Bernard, Grey Hound, Bloodhound, Labrador, Great Dane, Boxer etc.
- The most popular family pet dog in the world is Labrador. They also assist police.
- Dogs have excellent hearing power than humans. They can hear sounds at a distances of four times than humans can hear.
- Dogs have excellent sense of smell.
- A dog can live upto the age of 10 to 14 years.
- Here is a small video of two dogs waiting in a restaurant for being served. http://youtu.be/EVwlMVYqMu4
Very little about outer space is know till now. But there are some extra ordinary amazing facts about the outer space which everyone should know. Here is a list of top 10 amazing facts about outer space.
- If any two pieces of metals touch each other in space, they become permanently attached : It is true that when two metal pieces will form into one piece when they touch in space or vacuum. This happens without any welding work. This process is called as Cold Welding. Here is an article about cold welding in Wikipedia.
- If Saturn is put in water, it will float : The density of Saturn is very very low such that it will float if it is put in a giant glass of water. The density of Saturn is 0.687 g/cm3 while the density of water is 0.998 g/cm3.
- We are constantly moving in space at the rate of 530 Kms per second : The Milky Way is out Galaxy. It is spinning at a rate of 225 kilometers per second. In addition to the spin, our Galaxy is travelling through at a rate of 305 Km per second. So we are travelling a total of 530 kilometers per second. So in one minute, you will be 19,000 kilometers from the place where you were.
- The moon is moving away from earth : Our natural satellite, the moon is drifting away from us at a rate of 3.8 cm per year. So one day the moon will be very far away from earth.
- The light that we see now is 30,000 years old : The light that is hitting earth right now was created more than 30,000 years ago. This light started in the core of Sun 30,000 years ago. It has spent most of the time passing through the dense atoms of the Sun and took only 8 minutes to reach earth from the surface of Sun. The temperature at the core of the sun is 13,600,000 kelvins.
- Sun loses about a billion kilograms per second due to solar winds : The solar winds are charged particles that are ejected from the surface of Sun due to its high temperature. In this process Sun loses about a billion kilo grams per second.
- The Big Dipper is not a constellation but it is an asterism : The Big Dipper or the Sapthrashi mandal as it is traditionally called in India is not a constellation as considered by many people. It is only an asterism. An asterism is a pattern of stars in the sky which is not one of the official 88 constellations. An asterism may consist of stars from different constellations.
- Uranus was originally called George's Star : Sir William Herschel discovered Uranus in 1781. At that time he was given the honor of naming the planet. He has chosen to name it as Georgium Sidus ( George's Star) after the King George III.
- Our planet Earth has at least four moons : Even though it is not actually true, it is very close. One Asteroid was discovered by Duncan in 1986. This asteroid rotates in elliptical orbit around the sun with a period of revolution exactly equal to that of Earth. For this reason, the asteroid and earth seems to be following each other. The asteroid was named as Cruithne. Because of its unusual relationship with earth, it was treated as second moon of earth. After its discovery, three more asteroids were discovered.
- The Path of the moon's orbit around the earth will fit inside the sun : The path of moon's rotation around earth would easily fit inside the sun.