Here are some interesting facts about forests.
- Forests occupy 1/3rd of the total land area on earth.
- An area of the size of a football size in the forest is being destroyed each second
- The single oldest living thing on earth is a tree. It is 4,700 years old and located in USA. It was growing when Egyptians built the pyramids.
- In a period of less than 100 years, half of the entire forest area of the world has been cut.
- A forest area of more than 3,00,000 acres was burnt in Indonesia's East Kalimantan. Many people are now suffering from smog related diseases due to that.
- 3/4th of the world population still depends on wood as this is the main source of energy for them.
- Over 1.8 million hectares of forest disappear every year
- Canada's rate of deforestation is zero and is like this from past two decades
- If we assume a tree lives for 50 years, it exhales 6,000 pounds of oxygen in its life time or about 120 pounds per year.
- About 1% of the world forests ( equal to area of New Zealand )are destroyed by fire every year.