Do you know that one septillion ( 1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000) of snow crystals drop from the sky during each winter? It takes one million little droplets to make one snowflake.. Here are some interesting facts about Snow.
- Do you know that snow forms when water vapor in the atmosphere freezes into ice crystals?
- Snow is a form of precipitation, the other forms of precipitation are rain, hail and sleet.
- Snow storms are nothing but heavy snow falls.
- Normally the snow flakes are less than one-half inch across. But the biggest snow flake ever recorded in the world is a giant snow flake which was found at Fort Keogh, Montana on January, 28, 1887. It was 15 inches wide and 8 inches thick.
- Do you know that a single snowstorm can drop more than 39 million tons of snow whose energy is equivalent to 120 atomic bombs?
- The greatest amount of snow fall within 24 hours in US occurred in Silver Lake - Colorado in 1921. 76 inches of snow has fallen within 24 hours.
- The largest piece of ice to fall on earth was an ice block of 6 meters across that fell in Scotland on 13th August, 1849.
- Permanent snow and ice cover about 12% of earth land surface.
- 80% of the world's fresh water is locked up as ice or snow.